Friday, August 7, 2009

Marketplace Ministry

I'm an entrepeneur at heart. I've been that way since I was 10 years old when I started a lawn mowing service in my neighborhood. Today I have a few small businesses. I have one that is my bread and butter and the others are just a way to be a part of the community. Sure making some money would be great...but its not the motivation.

My latest endeavor is a music store (musical instruments not CD's or records) in the big town of St Pauls NC. Why start a music store? Because: 1) There wasnt one, 2) to be a part of the community and 3) to connect with people outside of a church setting. My thinking is - God has called us to be light in the darkness.....not a light amongst light. Most of my friends are christians, so I needed a venue in which I could meet what I call Pre-Christians : )

Speaking of the music biz: I went to NAMM in Nashville which is a trade show for music retailers. At the tradeshow, I met a guy and his mom who own a company called Goldfish Guitars. The body of the guitar is shaped like a fish. Their logo....is the sign of the fish (an ichthus). This sparked my curiousity and so I asked if this was a Christian business or was this just a logo. They told me they were believers and had made something that they thought others could use. Within that motivation had to be some seed sowing as well. I mean...here they were (and me too) at a music trade show with every type of person imagineable in attendance....showing the love of God amongst guitars blazing and drum cymbals crashing. Thats market place ministry!!

No comments:

Post a Comment